Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Eating Clean.... Why not? You are what you eat.

When I first moved to Hawaii, I really didn't think that I ate "that bad." I followed the usual fads and ate my rice cakes, kept my calories down, and all of the usual shenanigans. I could not figure out why I was still getting fatter, bigger, wider and clothes were getting tighter. I started following my upline coach, Marlena Hedine. She had been in my shoes and also lived in Hawaii like me. I contacted Marlena and talked to her about my struggles and all that. I was introduced into clean eating. I thought clean eating was just cleaning your vegetables. True story! By eating 5-6 small meals a day your metabolism works so much better. It doesn't have to work as hard because it is always being fed.





Documentaries. My first documentary I watched was called Super Size me. Americans as a whole have become dependent on fast food eating. Spurlock ate at McDonald's restaurants three times per day, eating every item on the chain's menu at least once. He gained 24.5 pounds in 1 month. It took him 14 months of a regimented diet to get that weight back off. Super size me shows you what you don't see behind the scenes where McDonald's food is made. I'm not trying to stab just McDonald's (I'm sure other chains are just as bad) but do you know what's in your chicken nuggets?


This is what is in those chicken nuggets you love so much. This image alone makes me want to puke. 

When I became a mother I vowed to protect my child from any harm that I could. We are so protective of our children, yet we feed them poison such as this. I understand that we aren't perfect. I don't pretend to be. My daughter is almost 3 and until I went home to Missouri a few months ago, she had never had a happy meal. I refuse to knowingly feed her crap like this. Do I give her brownies, ice cream, chips? Sure. In small amounts of moderation. I try to do organic (Non-GMO) though as much as possible. It just makes me feel better knowing that I'm doing all I can to give myself a healthier life. 

What is a GMO? Genetic Modified Organism. Basically the crap they put in to make chickens bigger, corn more plentiful. We have more people to feed in the world and it makes the dollar stretch a little further. Doesn't sound to bad yet though, right? HOWEVER......
I would suggest watching the documentary Genetic Roulette. This was an eye opener for me. 



So the question I hear a lot is, "what makes Shakeology worth $4 a serving?"
First, I will say, "how much is a chicken nugget meal at McDonalds? A 6 piece mighty kids meal is $4.29 at most US locations (more in AK and HI). A 10 piece meal is $6.99- $7.50. Next question. What nutritional value is in a 10 piece chicken nugget meal? 

10 piece chicken nuggets: 470 calories, 30 grams of fat, 22 grams of protein, 30 grams carbs, 900 mg sodium, and 65 mg of cholesterol. 
Now lets add the fries in. 
Large Fries: 500 calories, 25 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein, 63 grams carbs, 350 mg sodium, and 0 mg cholesterol. 
I don't even think I have to add in what that soda is as well. Most females are supposed to eat between 1200-1400 calories a day. At 970 calories for one meal, you do not have much left for the rest of the day. 


Shakeology: 130 calories, 2 grams of fat, 16 grams of protein, 14 grams carbs, 200 mg sodium, and 5 mg cholesterol. 

I hear many people that say, "I need to research Shakeology." I understand that. You want to see the value. I honestly never see people research anything else they put into their bodies, but let me show you why it's so important to have. The energy I get from the natural foods in Shakeology is huge. I can tell a huge difference if I miss a day. A few weeks back when I had the flu the only thing I could keep down besides a few crackers and Top Ramen (yuck) was my shakeology. I know that is how I recovered so well. 



Just remember. You are what you eat. I would much rather be a Super Food than slime. Just sayin'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment